Thursday, September 02, 2010
'Natsuko, my character has been formed by different forces than your own has been subject to,' I replied. 'While you experienced a loving father, I was given away by mine, simpy because another man asked for me. I saw my mother's life made miserable by the jealousies of her fellow concubines, much in the way that you and Shimako attempted to affect mine. You rejected me even before you had met me.'
'Yes, all of that is true, Yoshiko,' she said. 'Yet you are a clever girl, you could have made us like you.'
I told her that I had thought about that when I first came to Kawashima's house, but even then, all those years ago, it wasn't in my nature to beg for love.
'Ah, yes I see,' she said. 'By then you were already made.'
She may have been right, but to this day I cannot bear to court love. It seems to me that unless it is given freely it is worthless.
--
The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel, Maureen Lindley.
maybe, just maybe @ 9/02/2010 08:28:00 AM